Summer Zucchini-Turkey Lasagna
Succulent zucchini, or summer squash, is at the heart of this lean and low-fat version of lasagna. This recipe also skips the carbohydrate-laden lasagna noodles in favor of rice, but adds plenty of flavor with three cheeses, tomato sauce and parsley.
- 3 zucchini squash (8 to 9 inches long), sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 pound turkey ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt tomato sauce
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. In 8-inch square microwave-safe dish, layer zucchini strips; cover with wax paper. Microwave on high (100% power) 6 to 8 minutes or until zucchini are tender, rotating dish after 4 minutes. Remove zucchini; place on paper towels to drain. Drain liquid from dish.
2. In medium bowl, combine turkey, tomato sauce, rice, onions, Italian seasoning and pepper. In small bowl, combine cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and parsley.
3. Arrange 1/2 of zucchini strips in single layer on bottom of same microwave-safe dish. Top with turkey-rice mixture, spreading to cover zucchini layer. Top with cheese mixture; spread gently to cover turkey mixture. Top with layer of remaining zucchini strips; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
4. Microwave at medium (50% power) 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Makes 4 servings.
Serving Size: 1 (4 inch) square lasagna
- Calories = 261
- Total Fat = 5 g
- Saturated Fat = 2 g
- Carbohydrate = 30 g
- Protein = 25 g
- Sodium = 922 mg
- Fiber = 2 g
- Cholesterol = 42 mg
- Meat = 2
- Starch = 2